Noah´s Train is taking a message with it on its journey around the world: to increase rail transport to 30 percent by 2030.
What began in December 2018 at the COP24 World Climate Conference with two containers in Katowice, Poland, has become a strong European movement. And the longest mobile work of art. Rail Freight Forward (RFF), a coalition of European freight railways under the aegis of the Rail Cargo Group, has set itself the goal of drastically reducing the negative effects of freight traffic on our planet. A Europe-wide environmental protection campaign was launched for this very reason and Noah's Train was sent on a journey across Europe, visiting cities such as Vienna, Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Rome, Luxembourg, Madrid and Barcelona. In every city where Noah's Train stopped, creative street artists got together to create a real work of art - the longest mobile work of art. Thanks to this climate ambassador, the RFF initiative was given a strong voice to save the climate.
A work of art for climate protection
After 12 stops and 17 containers designed by international street artists, Noah´s Train has reached the port of Rotterdam. At the global UN climate conference COP25 in Madrid, it will spread the RFF message to increase the modal share of rail freight transport to improve climate, air quality and mobility.
We’re in this together
Freight transport pumps 275 million tonnes of CO2 emissions into the air every year. We can all make a contribution to increasing the share of rail in total freight transport from 18 % to at least 30 % by 2030. The advantages of rail freight transport are significant and sustainable. In figures, European rail freight transport means
- 12 times less external costs for society than by road
- 6 times lower specific energy consumption
- that rail is 9 times better than the European average in terms of CO2 emissions - the ÖBB freight transport by rail in Austria even causes 21 times less CO2 per tonne transported than truck transport
- rail is 8 times better in terms of air pollution
- rail causes 85 times fewer road casualtiesrail is 5 times better in terms of noise exposure